Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Wyoming...Montana 50 Years Ago?

I spent a few days in Wyoming fishing my favorite freestone river and once again wasn't disappointed.  After having traveled to Canada recently, where the outfitters advertise that the fishing is like Montana was 50 years ago, I'd have to say that I'd rather fish Wyoming.  It is surely an overstatement to say that it is as good as Montana before it was discovered, but there is some fantastic fishing in Wyoming. 

Unfortunately the memo was leaked and there were plenty of other anglers on the water this time.  I fished the same water last September and found nothing but solitude and big, hot fish.  There were still plenty of good fish but I bumped into more anglers that I would have liked.  Unfortunately the two biggest fish that I hooked up were both lost.  One was a beautiful, technicolored Cutthroat that was 21-23" and thick.  I've honestly never had my butt kicked by a Cutthroat...until this guy got a hold of me.  I fought him for perhaps 2 or 3 minutes before he came unbuttoned.  He didn't break off, my drag was set stout, and I made him work for every inch of line he took...he just won the battle.  The other fish was a Rainbow of over 20" or so that I fought for several minutes and couldn't seem to get the upper hand.  I decided that rather than kill the fish by playing it to exhaustion I'd put my tippet to the test and shape my rod like a taco shell.  Unfortunately my tippet broke after 15 seconds of this and off he went. 

I did land this 20" Cuttbow on a hopper, which was cool.

20" of Fun
 If the weather holds I'll try to make another trip or two down that way this year.  Until then enjoy some random shots.

First fish of the trip 18" Cutt



This caterpillar was colored just like a tiger

First fish on the new switch rod--19" Rainbow








The only fish I was in a spot to lay down for a good picture...17" Rainbow

1 comment:

  1. Your writing and photo’s never disappoint. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete