Monday, September 26, 2011

Wyoming Part II

I headed back down to Wyoming on Friday to enjoy what was possibly the last of our Indian Summer fishing my favorite freestone. 
Fishing was good with plenty of 15-19" fish landed and one Rainbow around 21" that broke off just as I was going to net it...oh well.  If you won them all it wouldn't be as fun, at least that's what I'm telling myself. 
There several Rainbows taken on hoppers like this one.
19" Rainbow
On Saturday morning I fished my new switch rod and swung streamers for a few hours.  It was great fun to practice this method of casting and fishing even if the catching wasn't great.  I only got two fish but this one was a beautiful male Cutthroat that was just under 20".  Believe it or not the Cutts in this drainage don't know they are supposed to roll over.  This fish actually put a bend in the 6wt switch rod. 
Big Cutt taken on the swing
I was fishing through some good looking water and not moving any fish kind of wondering what was up.  The shops in town claim that the fish are highly migratory in this river and sometimes just aren't where you expect.  I was guessing perhaps this was the answer until I saw this.
I've seen a few otters while fishing but never one this big or even this color.  Usually they are gray and about half as big.  This guy saw me, got in the water and keep popping up to take a look at what I was doing.  I suppose he was bigger than average because the river is full of bigger than average fish. 

All in all it was another successful trip and left me wanting to try and get back one more time before the snow flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment