Monday, June 27, 2011

Thrill of Victory....WTF

So I've been paying attention to my springtime mistress of late having fished it 5 times in the last 8 days.  The water is now clear and dropping daily and the fishing remains fantastic.  As I prepared to drop down to the creek I scanned the meadow for grizzlies.

No grizzlies in sight so I dropped in and got to work.  The first deep bend, that a week ago was impossible to drift the bottom of as it was too deep, delivered 5 fish.  Meanwhile I saw 4 fish rise, the first fish of the season to rise on this gem.  It wasn't enough to get me to put on a dry as the fishing was just too good down and dirty. 

I worked my way upstream slowly and methodically, hooking up more 15-19" Rainbows than anyone has a right to in a day.  Unfortunately I had my share of breakoffs and other losses but enough were also making it to hand that it was all good. 

I fished a familiar spot hard as it usually delivers a few fish.  It didn't disappoint as some quality Rainbows were caught.  I figured I had probably taken as many fish as I was going to in this spot but figured I'd make one more cast.  The result was a heavy hookup and large Brown flying out of the water.  The fish was a few pounds and in the low 20 inches.  It proceeded to kick the everliving crap out of me.  It made a beeline downstream, making the drag on my reel scream.  It became apparent I wasn't going to be able to stop this run so I got in the stream and waded as quickly as I could downstream and eventually across the stream in pursuit. 

The Brown was hooked where the picture was taken, landed around the bend downstream.
Finally, a solid 100 yards downstream from where I hooked up I had it close enough to see.  What do I see?  The freaking thing is hooked on the gill plate.  I thought it was fair hooked as I could feel the head shake and when it jumped it was apparent the fly was in its face.  While in it's face, it wasn't in it's mouth so I couldn't count it.  Believe me, I wanted to say, "it was hooked in the mouth and during the fight it slipped out and hooked the gill plate".  Perhaps, but probably not.  It is funny how something that provided the exact same amount of thrill and excitement as if I had it hooked in the mouth turned sour when I realized the hook was 1.5" away from where I thought it was?  Strange game we play...

I felt the need to get a picture, but not the need for a good picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment