Monday, April 25, 2011

New Fly, Nice Fish

So I stopped in the fly shop the other day looking for some lighter materials to tie some new rubber leg patterns.  Unfortunately they were all sold out of the color materials that I wanted and I settled on a rust/olive chenille with some ginger colored leg material.  I figured it would work as I'm not 100% that color even matters but I do want to have my bases covered. 
Yesterday I got out and enjoyed a lovely spring day on the water and fished my new pattern.  After fishing a bit and not getting any fish on it I switched to some other colors that "seemed" to perform better.  Later in the day I put the new pattern back on and fished it for perhaps 15 minutes with no action.  I was just about to write it off as the wrong color or wrong color combination when I hooked a nice fish.  The fish jumped and I saw a great Rainbow.  There's something really exciting about seeing a big Rainbow jump 2' out of the water.  It fought hard and I was able to ease it into the calm water.  What do you know, he took the pattern I was about to give up on.  In the next 20 minutes I hooked up 6 or 8 fish on the new fly, landed most of them, and had one that was probably every bit as good as the big one that I saw in the heavy water, tried to turn him, and was unable to make him move.  Ultimately the fly came free on that one.  Unusual for sure, but interesting to see a big fish get hooked up in heavy water and then use it's weight and the current to hunker down. 
The good fish turned out to be 19" and fat.  Unfortunately there was no hatch yesterday, but at the end of the day I put on a dry anyway and was able to rise a few fish. 
Here's a pic of the 19" Rainbow.
Here are few pics of some decent fish caught on other waters in the past week.


No comments:

Post a Comment