Friday, March 25, 2011

All is Right Again

I picked myself up from the butt kicking I received earlier this week and got out to one of my favorite freestone rivers for the first time this year.  It was a bit foggy and at times cold but the fish were willing and there were no footprints in the snow.  I had actually erected a marker back in August to remind me where a quality Rainbow was located and the marker was still there.  This fishery is amazing as for whatever reason it gets very little pressure.  In fact the first time I asked about it at one of the fly shops I frequent the response I got from both guys working was, "Never fished it."

We fished for 4 hours or so and saw 30 fish or so brought to hand between the two of us.  Generally fish on this river range 13-16" with Rainbows outnumbering Browns four to one.  True to form that's pretty much what we saw.  That is until the "I just want to get one more fish" hike back to the rig. 

I hit tight to a big boulder mid stream and thought I was hung up on it.  Then the fish moved and the fight was on.  It ended up being the biggest fish I've landed in this river, a thick, heavy, 19" Rainbow.  It was great to see a big Rainbow looking so healthy at the end of winter. 

The one more fish fish

No comments:

Post a Comment