Monday, February 21, 2011

Inaugural Post

I decided to start chronicling my fly fishing via a blog. I have a few simple goals. The first is to produce a simple blog that provides a means for others to vicariously experience my fishing adventures in the Northern Rockies. I know that many who love fly fishing are too busy to enjoy it as much as they would like as they are busy with more pressing issues in life. I hope that this blog can, on occasion at least, provide an outlet for those who find themselves dreaming of fishing more than wetting a line.

The second goal is to see if there is any possibility of commercializing my up to the moment fishing experiences as I see a niche not being effectively occupied in the fly fishing community. Many anglers dream of fishing Southwest Montana and have adequate skills to have success doing so. However, it can be a daunting task determining when to plan a trip, where to stay, where to fish, what methods need to be employed, what flies will be effective, etc. Stopping in a local fly shop can at times be extremely beneficial and at other times not so much for a variety of reasons. Hiring a guide is for some, a great idea. However, for many, it is an expense that would not be necessary if they had real time information on exactly where to fish and what methods/flies are working. I have no definitive plan as to how I would commercialize this type of information but figure if there is interest I'll figure that out as I go.

As a bit of background, I moved to Bozeman, Montana from Apache Junction, Arizona in May of 2010. Prior to relocating to Bozeman I had been vacationing and fishing the waters of Southwest Montana and Northwest Wyoming for the past dozen years or so. Since relocating I've fished over 175 days. Generally speaking if the weather permits I'm fishing as I have no traditional career so to speak. During the winter I am often the only one on the water. I am new to fly tying but have been able to fish only my own flies this winter, which I've enjoyed very much.

The fish I'm holding in the picture was caught in January 2011 on a public spring creek. It was a solid 21" Brown caught on a midge emerger. My fishing buddy and I were the only ones on the stream and had a wonderfully productive day in spite of 35mph winds.

I hope to be diligent in updating this blog regularly, but I suppose it depends on the level of interest it generates. I hope you enjoy the posts and perhaps I can be of help to you as you plan a trip to this fantastic part of the country.

2 comments:

  1. Good Luck with your project! After Pyramid we were going to plan a trip to the Black River but never did make it before you left. Keep posting pics like that and I'll be inspired to travel to Montana...

    AApostolik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog dude. It will give me an idea of what fly fishing is like, which is really cool. Like Andrew said, I think the pictures are the ticket and any other tips, tricks, and how to's you can add to the blog in the process would be a nice touch. Best of luck Dogg.

    ReplyDelete